- Aeroplane @ Mezzanine, 17th February (Friday)
- Oliver @ Rickshaw Stop, 18th February (Saturday)
Vaughn Oliver (aka U-Tern) seemed to do all the work. He dropped some great tunes including "Dirty Talk (Black Van Remix)" and "Church" by Jacques Lu Cont, and kept it up despite constant MC interruption "help" from a drunk Viceroy who failed to impress during his own, prior set.
- Radiohead @ HP Pavilion, 11th April (Wednesday)
I lost interest in Radiohead during Hail to The Thief. Our seats were too far back to see the performers, but central, and the light show was fun to watch. .
- Miike Snow @ Fox, 12th April (Thursday)
Aside from "Paddling Out", "Black Tin Box", and "Devil's Work"; the new tracks simply aren't as good as those from their eponymous debut album; and didn't work well live. Andrew Wyatt seemed to struggle with his vocals. A friend in another part of the venue complained about sound quality issues generally so maybe technical issues were to blame. The crowd loved the "Animal" finale.
- Justice @ Fox, 17th April (Tuesday)
What do you do when you have only two albums with quite different styles? Mash 'em up for 90 minutes 21st century ADD-style. Then add occasional live keyboards and a big light show. Win.
- Snow Patrol @ Fox, 4th May (Friday)
Still much better live than recorded, Snow Patrol are an occasional guilty pleasure. Cheap, distracting visual didn't help, but "Fallen Empires", "Take Back The City", and the crowd participation for "Shut Your Eyes" were some favorite moments. Gary Lightbody is still a charming front-man.
- Death Cab For Cutie @ Fox, 9th May (Wednesday)
Not my favorite band evar (Ben Gibbard's voice grates). However a solid performance, with a live (Magik*magik!) orchestra, a fully-seated crowd in the Fox, and good company, made for a memorable night.
- James Murphy @ Public Works, May 23th (Friday)
Beegee's death. Disco and 70s music. Left before Murphy did.
- Kaskade @ Bill Graham, July 28th (Saturday)
Smokers. Underwear. Very short girls (my not-tall girlfriend remarked on this). Very tall guys. Pretty visuals on lots of screens, smoke; definitely a "hit play" performance. Eric Prydz' "Alein Alein" got a muted response.
- Hot Chip @ Fox, September 11th (Tuesday)
Another solid performance with live variations on their recorded material left me longing for Coachella.
- Austra @ Independent, September 16th (Sunday)
A much better show than I expected. It was incredibly refreshing to have someone on stage who could sing and hold a note.
- Glen Hansard (and The Frames) @ Fillmore, October 6th (Saturday)
Married couple. "Banana man". A guest appearance by Reignwolf.
- The Presets @ Independent, October 12th (Friday)
Not as mind blowing as their Coachella 2011 show, but great nonetheless.
- Stars @ Fillmore, October 20th (Saturday)
Had more energy in 2010 but still enjoyable.
Bought tickets but didn't attend:
- Geographer @ The Independent, 3rd March (Saturday)