Monday, May 19, 2008

Bay to Breakers - May 18th 2008

Bay to Breakers is one of many cool things about San Francisco and represents many of the city's qualities. It's a medley of athleticism, creativity, music, teamwork and nudity...

Waiting in line to get into the start area and then for a porta-potty took about 45 minutes...This meant I missed the actual start and ended up the in middle of Zone 2/Yellow bibs i.e. late entrants, walkers, unwieldy costumes etc. The big bonus was that some friends (who were in the first category) caught up - we ran together as far as Fell Street and regrouped after the finish. The downside was having to dodge past hundreds of people for 7+ miles...

My finish time was about 7 minutes slower than 2007 but after returning to join the crew of the S.S Crab Lady, I think had at least 8 times more fun. :P

Results. My bib number was 6276. My time was 58:03.

Official Photos of me, Bill, Tatiana.

Crab Lady snaps: 1, 2, 3...


PS The number of total finishers seems to be in decline:
2005: 31,112.
2006: 24,562.
2007: 23,710.
2008: 22,439.

but whether that is a function of fewer paying participants or of more people being too drunk/tired to finish is a question I don't know the answer to...(the Chronicle claims about 33,000 registered).

No comments: