Sunday, May 17, 2009

Bay to Breakers - May 17th 2009

Bay to Breakers 2009 featured revised rules and warm weather. The former inspired a San Francisco combination of protest and initiative. After having a blast in 2008, I hoped to repeat the run first, party later approach.

This year's event also marked the introduction of a new corral system at the race start - I lined up with the first amateur group (A - Orange) and hoped to beat 55 minutes for the 12 km run (my PR of 51:09 in 2007 was after a start directly behind the Elites). This was my first race sporting Asics Gel Kayano 15 and Skins CROM shirt.

The pre-start porta-potty line took 35 minutes...the toilets were too close to the B corral - those in line couldn't prevent inevitable queue-jumpers. The wait led to my race-buddy and I being separated but his speed would have been too much for me anyway! (Check out results for bib number 2536).


I sucked down a gel before we began but some fluid-chaser would have been welcome. During the run I managed to avoid any lasting effects of Mexican food the night before. I cleared most of the traffic before Hayes Street Hill but my lack of training showed again - those I had been keeping pace with pulled ahead as we progressed through Golden Gate Park.


The party on the walk back could not be described as subdued but it did not compare to the total mayhem of last year. It seems the new restrictions and initiatives were at least a partial success...

Results. My bib number was 941. My time was 50:11.

Photos.


PS In the days following the race I tried 2XU's Compression Recovery Socks. Unfortunately I tore a hole in one of them immediately...I flew with Southwest four times in two days and my luggage was delayed so I wore the socks longer than expected...Smelly or not, they seemed to help my aching calf muscles. :-)

No comments: