Sunday, October 4, 2009

Bridge to Bridge Run - October 4th 2009

By the time race day for Bridge to Bridge Run 2009 arrived, I'd been on competition-hiatus for nearly 3 months. I skipped Escape from the Rock due to first-rain-provoked water quality concerns. My previous event, Alcatraz Challenge 2009, was fun, but I didn't expect to do as well in this pure footrace. Brunch at Zazie and some time at Lovevolution on Saturday didn't qualify as recommended preparation either! (The unexpected tween-fest at the music-fest may be worth a whole other post at some point...)

Weather was forecast to be cool (about 52 F) and breezy (gusting to about 14 mph), blowing against runners for most of the exposed course. In practice, the wind was hardly noticeable and sunshine temperatures were comfortable. Speaking of sun, I was grateful for my hat and sunglasses!

After walking to the Ferry Building (local races are so awesome), I found a spot a few yards from the start line. The Garmin 405 (sans heart rate monitor) proved useful in a concerted effort to control my initial speed and avoid a repeat of my pace collapse in 2008. Thanks to Pink-Shirt-Girl, Blue-Shirt-Guy and Grey-Shirt-Guy for their help! (The latter two dropped me on Marina Boulevard and Crissy Field respectively).

In spite of this, my pace still flagged a little around mile 6 (as others hit the throttle for the home leg). On the long, uphill, final stretch, the clock read around 49 minutes. In my relief, I eased off too much and was passed by two sprinters in the final yards.

My official finish time was 49:18, my fastest 12 km to date. (My 2008 time was 50:28).

Results. Photos. My bib number was 262.


PS While writing this I found a useful resource.

No comments: