Sunday, August 12, 2007

Folsom Triathlon - August 12th 2007

The Folsom International Triathlon was my first time racing on consecutive weekends. I spent the intermediate week recovering from a head cold after my jaunt in The Bay. (Bay swimming is like a box of chocolates...). I also replaced my running shoes and had some physical repair and maintenance work done; a massage by Jennifer Lightstone at Psoas Bodywork and a haircut - Folsom was forecast to be HOT - highs of 92 Fahrenheit (33 Celsius). My wave start was scheduled for 7:06AM so the plan was to be done long before conditions became too uncomfortable! Folsom was a first in another respect too; I didn't train on any part of the course before the race - friends assured me that it was "flat and fast"...


Swim & T1: Clear, blue skies and little or no wind (on the lake) made for a much more enjoyable experience than my recent Challenge swim. However sighting on the way out was a little difficult as we were staring straight into the rising sun. I struggled at transition to get my wetsuit off (over my timing chip on my right ankle).

Bike & T2: The advice proved accurate - the bike leg was relatively flat. The section with the most significant climbs was at the turnaround. There were also plenty of aero-bar opportunities and a breeze from the south-east provided further encouragement to stay streamlined.

I was about two thirds done, holding my own in terms of passing and being passed, and feeling full of myself when a disc-wheeler blew by me...and my rear tire blew with him. I pleaded with my bike for a few hundred yards but it was pretty insistent so I found myself on the edge of the road, putting my words into practice. The tube change cost me about seven minutes or more. Luckily, I found the metal shard responsible, which looked not unlike a decapitated thumbtack, and avoided a re-occurrence.

Run: The run course was pretty; an out (east) and back trip along the south shore of Lake Natoma. Trees provided welcome cover from the strengthening sun.

I need to do (more) brick workouts. I should not have been as uncomfortable as I was, or as surprised as I was at how bad my legs and stomach felt, after the bike. However my pace was faster than it seemed at the time in spite of terrible form due (in part) to shin pain. It's time to see Dr. Taylor Rabbetz again...I should have replaced my running shoes earlier...


Results: My splits were very close to those for the Treasure Island triathlon in 2006.

Racers at Folsom said that the course at San Jose is even flatter and faster - based on the 2007 results, the field seems a lot less competitive too! Maybe I'll try it in 2008. :-) In the meantime, preparing for the Big Kahuna Half Ironman on September 9th, is going to be a challenge...


Photos
.


Pop triva: Nick Diaz raced and kicked ass...it's what he does.


Tri trivia: Ben Collins, one of America's top triathletes, also raced and blogged his experience.


This race featured Head Music from:

No comments: