Sunday, June 3, 2007

Escape from Alcatraz - June 3rd 2007

A year later than originally planned, I raced Escape from Alcatraz for the first time on Sunday June 3rd 2007. Helpful currents in the Bay, my newly kitted out bike and awesome support, took me to the finish line in 2:42:18, much faster than I guesstimated - the 7am race start was worth it after all!

Swim: As expected, jumping off the boat was organized chaos; seeing the San Francisco Belle tilt as over a thousand athletes crowded to the starboard side was a sight to behold. The Bay was rougher in parts than I remembered from my two swims in 2006 but the pre-race sighting advice was spot on and there was no fog to obscure the relevant landmarks!

Bike: The course was familiar but much busier than I anticipated. Aside from the usual suspects speeding past, I paced with the same dozen or so folks for most of the bike leg; there were some good back and forth struggles until they all left me for dead after the run start. :P

Run: Calf cramps and stomach issues made life difficult for the first mile and a half. Very vocal encouragement from friends and Team In Training (thank you all!!) was all that motivated me not to walk along Marina Green...A pit stop and some electrolyte tablets before the first climb helped a lot and might have contributed to an amazing euphoria coming down the other side...I'm not certain I packed the correct pills!

As I was gathering my gear after the race, an Accenture employee, who just finished his first triathlon, asked me to take a photograph of him in the transition area. By the time I got him in focus, he was puffing on a cigarette and he said he finished only fifteen minutes after I did!

Results:
Photos:
  • Official.
  • Swim exit 1, 2, 3, 4.
  • Run out along Marina Green 1, 2, 3 - the face I make when it feel likes my calves are about to explode...the woman passing me finished third in the female amateur division.
  • Run out on Baker Beach 1, 2.
  • Run back through Chrissy Field - the M-Heart on my race belt is for Myland Hui, one of our Team Honorees.

Video courtesy of Accenture - I cross the finish line at about 2:42.34 on the clock, about 21 seconds into the video clip.

As I crossed the finish line, Groove Armada was playing - "But I feel good. But I feel high." - Why yes, yes I do.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Nice one Luke. As usually you look like a savage. In London I've been mainly working on my beer belly, and a mighty beast it is too.

I'll have to check with my sources but that sounds like a blistering time mate!

Ev and I were in Lanzarote the weekend before the IromMan recently and when-ever i saw a chap in sapndex fly past on a training run, i thought of you (in a manly way of course)

Good job mate (or is it 'dude' these days?)