Thursday, May 10, 2007

Wildflower - May 5th 2007 - Long Course


My Wildflower experience was...emotional. I was happy to finish the 70.3 miles!! Here are some details:

Swim - was a little choppier than expected due to slightly windy conditions but I was satisfied with my time (especially given my recent lack of swim training...). Here's a sample of the mayhem of a triathlon start, from the Olympic distance race on Sunday May 6th.

Bike - I felt great and was pacing pretty well until a rear spoke broke at about mile 29 and the rear wheel buckled pretty badly. I had to tear the spoke out of the wheel rim as I don't carry the tools to remove or snip it and it snapped at the hub so I couldn't safely wrap it to an adjacent spoke...Riding the remaining 26+ miles with the rear brake rubbing (even though it was open) wasn't much fun. I think time spent standing on the side of the road spoke-wrestling plus time spent cycling at a slower pace cost me about 15 to 25+ minutes on the bike segment alone. Many folks complained about the wind on the bike leg too but I don't think I was trying to push hard enough at any point for it to bother me! (The wind strength increased throughout the day so the amateur female waves were hit hardest).

Run - I was very glad to get off the bike but physically, mentally and emotionally drained by the time I did. I walked more than I would have liked but came close to my two hour run target.

Race results. My bib number was 363. I am listed under Long Course Triathlon > Amateur Finishers.

Pop trivia: I was smoked by Andrew Baldwin, Bib #525 aka The Bachelor in reality-TV-land.

My goal for 2008 is to beat my 6 hour 18 minute time from this attempt and maybe break 6 hours!

Photos:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy crap. You deserve a (much larger) medal for enduring that and finishing. Good show!

Jan said...

very cool mate! you´re a savage.