Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Knee arthroscopy - 14th July 2010

Background:

Since November 2009, I've been unable to run or bike without significant right knee swelling, loss of mobility, and discomfort. Less demanding tasks like walking to work, or simply standing for more than fifteen minutes, are also problematic. My knee did not respond well to standard treatments such as physical therapy, rest etc. An inconclusive MRI indicated two possible meniscus issues; discoid and a small tear. A steroid injection in May didn't help so I canceled my 2010 race plans and prepared for something more invasive...

Surgery:

During the arthroscopy, the surgeon trimmed some tissue around my kneecap (below and on right side). However my meniscus looked better than the MRI suggested so it wasn't touched. Unfortunately there was no Eureka moment. I might need more work on my IT-band and I definitely require post-surgery physical therapy.




Recuperation:

The post-surgery pain is not yet enough to warrant medication but I have that option. I can hobble around my apartment but I need crutches for the stairs and San Francisco hills outside my door. :-) Bandages come off on Saturday - I cannot shower until then (so don't visit! :P). I need to elevate and ice as much as possible. The fluid in my knee should disperse in a few days too. Stitches should come out in about two weeks. Then the real recovery starts!


Friends and family have been amazing and supportive as ever. Thank
you all so much!!

No comments: