Saturday, January 19, 2008

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

When I learned that Fox was putting together a TV series using The Terminator franchise, I was skeptical. After two great action movies and one enjoyable venture into action-parody, what would be next? Terminator: The Musical? I Love Terminator Too? Unwilling to commit to the real-time feed, I recorded the show, just in case...

On Friday January 18th 2008, the flu bug struck...hard. Housebound for the weekend, I decided to watch the pilot episode. It did not disappoint. The Terminator is still, to quote Elvis Mitchell of the New York Times, "A B-movie with flair". It's gratuitous, obvious, and awesome. I've decided to wait until the series is available to watch completely free of advertisement before watching the full season. Some of my skepticism remains - I don't think the Terminator "universe" has the breadth (yet anyway) to carry a story week after week. Also, temporal travel as a plot-device, is a dangerous lure for writers under pressure...Can Fox make this work for a whole season? I guess "Time vill tell!"

No comments: