Friday, September 7, 2007

Underworld, Oakenfold. Sept 7th, Warfield.

I saw Paul Oakenfold at 1015 on July 3rd and was reasonably impressed by some of his tunes (I really like some of his recorded material). This time, his set ran for almost 90 minutes and was almost exclusively ambient trance; at least that's my pigeonhole term for the lyric-less, lackluster sounds that nobody danced to. I wasn't enamored either...

Oakenfold was accompanied by visuals from Perfecto. They seem to have one idea - take a woman (big fake boobs optional) and stick a camera on her while she wears a ridiculous outfit and maybe jiggles around a little. Cool. Not.

I listened to the guys standing next to me bitch about how crap Oakenfold was until about 10:30pm. Then Underworld arrived. They brought something they call "Rez" and lights...that strobed.

Having never seen Underworld live before, what immediately struck me is that Karl Hyde and Rick Smith are old, white dorks. This is not uncommon for electronica artists but dorks or not, Underworld kicked ass and performed for two hours not including any encores (which I didn't stick around for because of this).

PS I still don't understand what all the fuss is about "Born Slippy".

No comments: